My obsession with reading has always been something that my friends and family know about. The day that I started to share it on the world wide web it got worse. I actually have far too many books in one place and even more in another. Fitting reading time into my working day has never really been an issue for me as I use most of my spare time like travel time to and from work, break times and bed time. All of these times used to rack up to a massive 4 hours reading a day. However, since changing my job to a location closer to home my reading time has been cut down by about 75% which is a massive chunk. Actually having the opportunity to have a life outside of work and not having to spend a lot of my time traveling is great but my reading really has suffered.
On my days off I tend to set aside at least two hours to read my current book on the go. However, these hours at the moment seem to be broken up into 20 minute slots as and when I can fit them in. In ways it can get frustrating not having the time to do one of the things that I really do enjoy that essentially is a free therapy and form of relaxation. On the plus side, I have more of a life and have time to take up more of my previous hobbies like horse riding and actually seeing friends.
A regular work day of Fay (timings during work are rough but estimated so you get an idea of how long I read):
- 6am – wake up and get ready for work
- 6:30-6:45am – read and have breakfast
- 6:45-7:00am – walk to the station (reading depending on people traffic!)
- 7:00-7:20am – read on the underground to work
- 7:20-7:45am – dress for work listening to music
- 7:45-10:00am – work
- 10:00-10:30am – read over a cup of tea
- 10:30am-2:00pm – work
- 2:00-2:30pm – read over lunch
- 2:30-5:30pm – work
- 5:30-6:00pm – read over dinner break
- 6:00-8:15pm – work (depending on handover could be at work until 8:30-8:45pm
- 8:30-8:50pm – read on the underground home
- 8:50-9:00pm – walk home and if light enough read also again depending on people traffic
- 9:00-9:30pm – listen to audio book if one to hand whilst showering/bathing and settling in at home
- 9:30-10:30pm – read before bed
- 10:30 – Bed or catch up on some TV before bed
As you can see there are quite a few breaks in my day that I squeeze reading into and it may seem like I get a lot of breaks however as I work a 13 hour shift they are quite warranted and I am incredibly grateful to have that time to chill and read. Also I get more reading time at home as I mostly have dinner whilst at work.
No matter what I do I try and read every day for at least 10 minutes – better than nothing right?!
Do you read every day? If not when do you read and how long for?
Thanks so much to Fay from Blog a Book, Etc. for this fantastic post about maximizing time to read! I know many of us are in the same boat.