Kate from Kate’s Book Nook is a SUPERSTAR when it comes to the last hours of the Read-a-Thon. She’s been our go-to for late-night/early morning hosting for the last several -athons, so now’s your chance to find out how this talented lady stays awake for those coveted hours.
In the last several Read-a-Thons, I have co-hosted the last four to five hours. These tend to be some of the toughest hours for those who are trying to do the full 24 hours. Coming from a family of night owls, I am frequently awake in the wee hours of the morning. Over the years, I have developed many tips and techniques to staying awake and staying alert.
Here are some of the tricks and tips I recommend to stay awake:
- Listen to music – even get up and dance for a few minutes. Listening to music quietly instead of loudly is actually more effective.
- Get up and move around a bit. Walk around the house. The neighborhood (if it is safe). Sometimes I would put on an audiobook and do some crochet or cross stitch or knitting. Anything to keep my hands active, but my mind free. You can also try doing some jumping jacks.
- Read something interesting and upbeat. Classics and heavy literature are better when you mind is fresher and more alert. Shorter books or action filled ones are good for keeping you going.
- Keep the room bright! When the light is dull, your eyes tend to drift closed. The brighter the better!
- Chew ice – The chilling temperature keeps the brain alert. If you don’t have ice around, chew something else, such as gum or candy.
- Take a quick shower. I don’t recommend a cold one, because then you will want to rush under the covers, but a quick shower will help awaken your body. If nothing else, splash your face with cold water.
- Eat some healthy snacks – Some citrus fruits or nuts (such as sunflower seeds, almonds, or cashews) really help keep you awake and alert. Try some peanut butter and celery. Avoid anything starchy, such a breads or potatoes. Those are heavy and make you sleepy.
- AVOID THE COFFEE OR ENERGY DRINKS – I know, I know. You are battling to stay awake. The coffee or Red Bull would be so helpful. But think again, my friends. After these last few hours are past, you are most likely going to want to go to sleep. You don’t want the extra buzz you got from your caffeine fix to keep you awake. Instead try some orange juice or grapefruit juice or ICE COLD water. Stay hydrated.
- Go on twitter or this blog and chat for a few minutes. I know that chatting with you all always helps me stay awake.
Do you have any tips or tricks that I might have missed? If so, please share them below in the comments section. I am always trying to come up with new and interesting ways to stay awake!