Hello! And welcome (all 451 of you! at last count! WOW!) to another Read-a-thon event! I’m Heather and I’ll be your host for the first 4 hours! I am enjoying picturing all us bloggers, from all over the world, snuggled up with huge piles of books, lots of nutritious (yeah! right!) snacks, and hours and hours of reading time ahead of them. THIS, THIS is my favorite part of the read-a-thon. Doesn’t matter race, religion, sex, or anything. We’re all getting together to read and have a kick ass time. Can I get an AMEN?
Dewey created this event after her husband and son went to a 24 Hour Comics Day, an annual event held in October. Her role was to drive the two of them there and pick them up the next morning. After participating in Mother Reader’s 48 Hour Readathon, she was reminded of those Comics Days and decided to hold her readathon. If it went well, she would make it an annual event. The very first Readathon was held on October 20, 2007. You guys. We’ve been doing this, bi-annually, for 5 years now. Wouldn’t Dewey be SO PROUD of us?
In reading back over Dewey’s posts (thank God I never deleted her feed from my Google Reader) the nostalgia is hitting me pretty hard. Her last Read-a-thon was in 2008. She was with us for such a short time. And I am amazed at how many things she already had in place. The hourly posts. The cheerleaders. The giveaways. Dewey laid the groundwork so that we could keep it going, for this, and so much more. Thank you Dewey, as always, for your guidance, your enthusiasm, your leadership, and your love of reading and this bookish community. All these years later, and you’re still here. We love you, Dew!
Now, before we get to the books, how about we learn a little bit about everyone else? It’s time for the opening meme!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
1) I’m in North Carolina!
2) The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen
3) ALL OF THEM
4) Well, hello there! I’m Heather. I blog about all kinds of stuff, but mostly books, at Capricious Reader. I am also co-owner (with the fabulous Andi!) of the new blog collective The Estella Society. COME WRITE FOR US. Ahem. Did I say that out loud?
5) This read-a-thon will be unlike any I’ve ever had before. It’s my first time co-hosting! So be gentle with me!
Leave me the linkies with your answers to the questions below!